Toyota Corolla Cross Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I installed some mud guards on my Cross and I noticed some pretty big panel gaps. Most of it is around the headlights and the hood.
As you can see in the pictures, there's a big gap between the headlights and the center grille of the car. Yes, what you see there in the gap (I can poke my pinky finger through that gap) is the radiator.
Also, on the top of the headlights there's a big gap where they are supposed to meet the hood.
Also, on the side of the hood there's a big gap. In the pictures you see my pinky finger for scale (I did not have a banana o me at the time).
All these gaps let water from rain and dust go into the engine bay. And in the pictures you can see how dirty the engine compartment is, and not just the engine itself, but also the inside of the hood. This car has 3 months and 2000 miles of city use. In a year the engine bay will look like one from a farm tractor.
I had the hood fully closed, so this is the normal state of the car.
I went around the car and I also remembered to take some picture of the license plate lights so you can see how the light housing just sits there, not rubber gasket around it. This is on both sides of the hatch release button and camera. As you feel around to find the button for the hatch, you come across the license plate light and you press on it thinking it is the button. There's no rubber gasket or plastic trim. Nothing. If the car was not painted, I'm sure I would have cut my fingers on the sharp metal edge of the hood.

Unbelievable shoddy engineering from Toyota. What am I supposed to do now? Look around for self adhesive rubber tubing to fill in those gaps?
Either this is bad design from Toyota, or very bad assembly in Alabama, or some trim pieces are missing.

View attachment 345

View attachment 346
View attachment 347

View attachment 348

View attachment 349
View attachment 350
View attachment 351
View attachment 352
View attachment 353
I just bought the silver 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross. I have just over 200 km. I finally opened the hood and closed it a couple times just to look at the engine and things. When I went to pick up some food and was waiting in the restaurant, I was looking at it and i thought the hood was still open. I went outside and opened and closed the hood and I couldn't believe it these are gaps. Makes me wish I would have look at the gaps before the first time I ever opened it. I can't believe how poor that is and from the pics of silver ones that I see on the net they all seem to have this gap. That's the only thing that made me feel a little better is that they all seem to have these gaps but this is pretty poor. I will say the hood on the Cross feels pretty solid when compared to my Hyundai Elantra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed those gaps at the dealership when I test drove it in May. I could feel heat coming from the engine, out of the front gaps, while the car was idling. We purchased the LE model ($28,263) and once at home I began detailing the entire car. The engine bay looked similar to your picture so I detailed it also. 2 weeks later we drove from Southern California to Flagstaff Arizona, about an 8 hour trip, through the desert and drove on the dusty roads in Flagstaff. When we returned home, I again detailed the car and observed the engine bay had a very light coating of dust on it from the trip. The rest of the car was very dirty. The following 2 months of daily driving showed almost no dirt or debris in the engine bay. I think the initial dirty engine was from the transport from the Alabama factory to Southern California. Our trip to Arizona showed 37 mph going, 35 mph coming back, driving against a head wind in the desert. I kept the cruise control at 70 mph. This car replaced our Sienna van that we had for 22 years (440,000+ miles) and gets nearly twice the miles per gallon. It takes up less space in our garage and we can get out of any door when parked, unlike the Sienna which we had to use the front passenger door or the power sliding door. I have no regrets with this car and will drive it 20+ years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I noticed those gaps at the dealership when I test drove it in May. I could feel heat coming from the engine, out of the front gaps, while the car was idling. We purchased the LE model ($28,263) and once at home I began detailing the entire car. The engine bay looked similar to your picture so I detailed it also. 2 weeks later we drove from Southern California to Flagstaff Arizona, about an 8 hour trip, through the desert and drove on the dusty roads in Flagstaff. When we returned home, I again detailed the car and observed the engine bay had a very light coating of dust on it from the trip. The rest of the car was very dirty. The following 2 months of daily driving showed almost no dirt or debris in the engine bay. I think the initial dirty engine was from the transport from the Alabama factory to Southern California. Our trip to Arizona showed 37 mph going, 35 mph coming back, driving against a head wind in the desert. I kept the cruise control at 70 mph. This car replaced our Sienna van that we had for 22 years (440,000+ miles) and gets nearly twice the miles per gallon. It takes up less space in our garage and we can get out of any door when parked, unlike the Sienna which we had to use the front passenger door or the power sliding door. I have no regrets with this car and will drive it 20+ years.
Awesome report. Good to see you so happy with it. I noticed you said 37 mph, but I knew what you meant 🙂. Excellent mpg !

·
Registered
95 Posts
How comfortable is the driver's front seat in comparison to your Sienna? Crazy enough, the Sienna has less driver leg room for me, and the Cross seemed to have more! I just wonder how the CC compares in just comfort. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
On our trip of about 430 miles, I stopped twice with no seat discomfort and felt fine. Our sienna was more comfortable allaround because it had a larger cabin area and no center console, so I could stretch my leg all the way to the right and shift around in the seat. The CC does have a area to the right of the gas pedal where my foot can move to the right for more comfort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome report. Good to see you so happy with it. I noticed you said 37 mph, but I knew what you meant 🙂. Excellent mpg !
Yes, I ment mpg. Currently the average is 34 mpg with mostly in city driving. When my wife drives back and forth to L.A. with her lead foot (80 mph) it drops to 30 mpg. I use the app called Acar, which tracks mpg and maintenance for my vehicles.
Additionally, this spring we vacationed in Virginia and rented a Mazda CX-5 for two weeks as a comparison for the Cross, which we had on order. It was a nice car and compared to the Cross, the Mazda's road noise was louder, engine noise was louder and seemed underpowered. I find the Cross seats to be more comfortable and the interior has more room. Gas mileage for the Mazda was less according to the dashboard information, in the high 20s. My wife initially said the Mazda's exterior was prettier, but now likes the Cross better.
I have always done maintenance on all our vehicles ( all toyotas) and expect to do the same with this one, after reading the user guide. On exception will be the transmission, since it is CVT. My research on the CVT leads me to have the fluid and filter changed every 30,000 miles. I now average 5000 miles per year so the expense for us is worth it to keep the car long term.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I installed some mud guards on my Cross and I noticed some pretty big panel gaps. Most of it is around the headlights and the hood.
As you can see in the pictures, there's a big gap between the headlights and the center grille of the car. Yes, what you see there in the gap (I can poke my pinky finger through that gap) is the radiator.
Also, on the top of the headlights there's a big gap where they are supposed to meet the hood.
Also, on the side of the hood there's a big gap. In the pictures you see my pinky finger for scale (I did not have a banana o me at the time).
All these gaps let water from rain and dust go into the engine bay. And in the pictures you can see how dirty the engine compartment is, and not just the engine itself, but also the inside of the hood. This car has 3 months and 2000 miles of city use. In a year the engine bay will look like one from a farm tractor.
I had the hood fully closed, so this is the normal state of the car.
I went around the car and I also remembered to take some picture of the license plate lights so you can see how the light housing just sits there, not rubber gasket around it. This is on both sides of the hatch release button and camera. As you feel around to find the button for the hatch, you come across the license plate light and you press on it thinking it is the button. There's no rubber gasket or plastic trim. Nothing. If the car was not painted, I'm sure I would have cut my fingers on the sharp metal edge of the hood.

Unbelievable shoddy engineering from Toyota. What am I supposed to do now? Look around for self adhesive rubber tubing to fill in those gaps?
Either this is bad design from Toyota, or very bad assembly in Alabama, or some trim pieces are missing.

View attachment 345

View attachment 346
View attachment 347

View attachment 348

View attachment 349
View attachment 350
View attachment 351
View attachment 352
View attachment 353
I just took a flashlight out and checked my 2022 LE. The hood gap is obviously the same as yours. The gap around the lights on yours is much worse than my 2022. I hardly have any gap above the headlights.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts