Toyota Corolla Cross Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a corolla cross but I'm curious has anyone gone or considered going car camping in it? And I mean sleeping in the car type of car camping not like bringing a tent and just carrying it in the cargo area (I'm quite sure it could handle that), but I love the idea of being able to throw a smaller mattress in there and spend an overnight in a local campground/forest area etc. I know it's probably not the IDEAL car for that but it's the largest car that's really in my budget right now and I'm just curious if anyone else has tried or considered this or might be willing to snap a few photos of a tape measure showing how much length/width/diagonal length there is in the back if you fold down the rear seat and maybe scoot the front two chairs up a bit. Also curious on those dimensions w/o the front seats moved at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And I mean sleeping in the car type of car camping […] but I love the idea of being able to throw a smaller mattress in there and spend an overnight in a local campground/forest area etc. […] if you fold down the rear seat and maybe scoot the front two chairs up a bit.
Just a little something to have in mind; the rear seats do not provide a flat, even, and continuous surface from the cargo area when folded. They make a “step up” from the cargo area. You may be able to solve this by adding a DIY/makeshift base so you small mattress can lay flat from one end to the other.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk

Source of photos

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a little something to have in mind; the rear seats do not provide a flat, even, and continuous surface from the cargo area when folded. They make a “step up” from the cargo area. You may be able to solve this by adding a DIY/makeshift base so you small mattress can lay flat from one end to the other.

View attachment 327
View attachment 328

Source of photos
Good to know, thanks! For some reason I thought I'd saw a video online where they folded much more flat than that (not fully flat but generally much flatter). I wonder if it depends on trim?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good to know, thanks! For some reason I thought I'd saw a video online where they folded much more flat than that (not fully flat but generally much flatter). I wonder if it depends on trim?
They appear to be somewhat flatter on the AWD because the floor at the back is higher than the FWD. This also means less cargo volume on the AWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking into getting a corolla cross but I'm curious has anyone gone or considered going car camping in it? And I mean sleeping in the car type of car camping not like bringing a tent and just carrying it in the cargo area (I'm quite sure it could handle that), but I love the idea of being able to throw a smaller mattress in there and spend an overnight in a local campground/forest area etc. I know it's probably not the IDEAL car for that but it's the largest car that's really in my budget right now and I'm just curious if anyone else has tried or considered this or might be willing to snap a few photos of a tape measure showing how much length/width/diagonal length there is in the back if you fold down the rear seat and maybe scoot the front two chairs up a bit. Also curious on those dimensions w/o the front seats moved at all.
I'm doing this to my yaris cross this weekend. I'm 1.65m and cam fit with seats pushed forward so should work in the corolla as I think its got 20cm more or so in length. Might need to do a slightly different frame in the base but I like that you can leave your seats in and move the drivers and passengers seat for driving between camps. :) havent built it yet myself so will see how it goes haha SUV Camper Conversion with Sleeping Platform - Subaru Forester » Bonjour Becky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts