Toyota Corolla Cross Forum banner

'22 LE FWD break-in review

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  STREETEAGLE2 
#1 ·
What a wonderful car. It's my wife's daily driver and she is still in the break-in phase...less than 900 miles of non-highway driving. It's flat here in Myrtle Beach, and her MPG results far outweigh the EPA estimate...almost 40MPG, and this is on regular roads averaging maybe 50mph. The FWD has the torsion beam rear suspension, but the thing handles great. The car has ample storage space for our needs, and you can fit 5 comfortably inside, 4 full-sized adults, and a large child in the middle of the rear seat.

The speedo is accurate, although I had to reset the TPMS sensors to calibrate them once I set the tires PSI with a good gauge, now they are within tolerance. The infotainment system could be better, but it does everything you need, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, while only wired, works great...easily set up with your phone. You don't even have to connect your phone via Bluetooth for APC or AA to work which is nice.

Seats are comfy, not mind-blowing, but supportive. We will see how it feels on a long trip up to Wilmington soon and I'll try to update the feel here.

All in all, my wife is now a converted and proud Toyota owner. We have a winner here, price, quality, standard safety features, looks....what else can you ask for?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

See less See more
#3 ·
Big advocate of oil change at 1k...pay out of pocket at the dealer for it, do not use up your 5k maintenance on it so you go back to 5k/10k. This is ONLY OIL CHANGE...make sure they know that and they put it in the notes when you bring it in.

lots of factors at play with gas mileage. are you keeping the engine under 2k to break it in? do you live in a hilly area? My wife was driving 30 miles one way to work on basically flat roads averaging 50 mph, and was getting low 40 mpg. now she drive 6 miles one way and gets mid 30s....but we live in Myrtle Beach so the only hills are overpasses.

it takes at least a couple thousand miles for the engine to learn your driving habits and recalibrate all the sensors. For example, when I got my C-HR, fill tank would show 240miles in the range....now after 5k, it's consistently 350mile range.

Consider your driving habits....easy on easy off, brake early... let the car learn to live....it will easily take you 300000 miles if you take care of it.

#5 ·
Big advocate of oil change at 1k...pay out of pocket at the dealer for it, do not use up your 5k maintenance on it so you go back to 5k/10k. This is ONLY OIL CHANGE...make sure they know that and they put it in the notes when you bring it in.

lots of factors at play with gas mileage. are you keeping the engine under 2k to break it in? do you live in a hilly area? My wife was driving 30 miles one way to work on basically flat roads averaging 50 mph, and was getting low 40 mpg. now she drive 6 miles one way and gets mid 30s....but we live in Myrtle Beach so the only hills are overpasses.

it takes at least a couple thousand miles for the engine to learn your driving habits and recalibrate all the sensors. For example, when I got my C-HR, fill tank would show 240miles in the range....now after 5k, it's consistently 350mile range.

Consider your driving habits....easy on easy off, brake early... let the car learn to live....it will easily take you 300000 miles if you take care of it.
Would it be appropriate to take my Cross to an independent mechanic for my 1,000 mi oil change? Thank you. I only ask because there is a very highly regarded mechanic next to my work place.

#13 ·
I hear alot of comments regarding "break in period". I spent some time in my working years around Certified mechanics and all of them agree on this "the 3rd time your temp gauge reaches normal operating temperature your engine is broke in". The old 500 mile this 1500 mile that is from decades ago.

(I'm feeling like I'm gonna get beat up on this)

#17 · (Edited)
I'm planning on keeping my Cross until it dies, hopefully beyond 300k miles. I did the 1k oil change and am doing oil changes every 5k miles. There are enough credible sources recommending both of those that it seems reasonable and prudent to go ahead and do them if you're planning on long-term ownership. I know this is a big controversy, but even if those end up not being necessary it's definitely not hurting anything aside from the extra cost. I'm used to a 6k oil change interval anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.