Toyota Corolla Cross Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must get this off my chest. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that takes 0w/16 oil.
I live in North Central Florida and you can guess what the summers are like, today, on Thanksgiving Day, it is expected to hit close to 80 degrees. Have any of you thought of going to a slightly heavier oil, if so, what is your choice?
Now I am aware of the talk of "oil passages are smaller and heavy oil will not get to the proper places needed". I have also heard that "you void your warrantee by not following recommended oil viscosity" All that set aside it just amazes me that oil so thin will give me all the engine protection I need especially in the summer months.

So, chime in and let me know what you folks think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard that 0W-20 is usually the go to oil since 0w-16 can be hard to find at times. Other than that, I'd just use what is recommended (Both 16 and 20 are what shops use) and wouldn't worry about it too much. They are designed to run that oil and trust me when I say this, it doesn't matter how hot it is outside since your engine will be running at about 180f anyway due to the cooling system keeping it that warm. It's really only startup that is an issue, but you are perfectly fine running 0W in these engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts